Roots and Wings
March 28, 2024, 11:18:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Michaelmas Sept. 29th(ish)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Michaelmas Sept. 29th(ish)  (Read 429 times)
kt
Wise Trees

« on: August 30, 2010, 02:20:09 pm »

Michaelmas is typically on or around September 29th. In terms of Anthroposophy- it is the celebration of our spirits coming back down from the heavens (as they soar during the summer time) into our bodies for deep soul introspection over the cold winter. This is depicted through stories about the Archangel Michael or St. Michael having cast Lucifer from the heavens. For example: St. George & the Dragon. If you want, you can search for this story & if you're unable to find it, let me know. I can find a way to share it.

We were itching to fly some kites yesterday. While I watched the boys run with their daddy & the kites soar, dive & gracefully glide to the ground, I again realized why we've flown kites to celebrate Michaelmas. It seems to be a visual lesson about greeting our spirits back into ourselves & all the potential lessons we can learn this season.

As Kari mentioned at the meeting last Thursday night, it would be awesome to get together & have some kite-flyin' fun & maybe some pot luck fun. We hope to be making the some creative & yummy dragon bread (just shaped like one, not tasting like one ;o).
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:50:39 pm »

sounds like a fun time to me!
Report Spam   Logged
unschoolbus
Queen Goddess of the Universe
Wise Trees

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:37:38 pm »

Bryson is afraid of kites (not one of my better parenting moments) so we will sit this one out.
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:00:45 pm »

Sounds like a good time to me!
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:39:59 am »

where do you get your kites?  or did you make them?
Report Spam   Logged
jenm
Wise Trees

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 11:09:53 pm »

Thank you for your explanation, Katie.  I never "got" Michaelmas, but what you said makes so much sense to me. 
Report Spam   Logged
kt
Wise Trees

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 05:51:03 pm »

Ooo, I just found the mother load of good stuff. Included are a few more Michaelmas stories! Yay! And lots of Autumn stories & songs & circle time fun! I love finding long lost stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
kt
Wise Trees

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 05:54:29 pm »

Oh and re: kites. We've done both and since the ones that we've made haven't flown really well, we use store-bought ones also. Just ones we've collected over the years (some from Costco, others have been gifts). We have a really fitting dragon one that is pretty big. Oh and Jeff found a HUGE one at a garage sale ~ it's awesome!
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:21:37 pm »

I got St. George and the Dragon from the library today and I have to say that I was a bit surprised by how scary and gory it was.  I'm not sure how well some of our set would do with it, honestly.  The book I got was a collection of dragon stories and the next one was a story about outwitting the dragon instead of slaying it.  Would that be an appropriate substitute?  We've never celebrated Michalmas before, honestly, so I don't know all about it. 
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
unschoolbus
Queen Goddess of the Universe
Wise Trees

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:37:50 pm »

I am still unsure if we will be able to participate or not but less gore is better. These are young children Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 09:44:07 pm »

Teehee  Oh, Nessa. 
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
kt
Wise Trees

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 11:06:29 pm »

There are many other stories that are less gory. The dragon is just used to exemplify the struggle between good and evil, much like the balance of the light and dark. The Children's Book of Virtues edited by William J. Bennett has a great St. George story b/c the pictures aren't gory, they just reflect the struggle. Though, in An Overview of the Waldorf Kindergarten: Articles from the Waldorf Kindergarten Newsletter 1981 to 1992, Michael and the Dragon is more tame. And the ones we've been working on- Michaelmas Story of the Star Children by Corinne Batzell & St. Michael on the Crescent of the Moon (from a Polish Legend)- are quite beautiful & magical.

Autumn: A Collection of Poems, Songs & Stories for young children from Wynstones Press has a few . . . Crossing the Sea by E. Brooking and The Kite by U. de Haes

I plan on using the Star Children one and the Kite at the celebration ;o) Trying to memorize right now, in fact.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 12:40:45 pm »

Cool.  Sounds good.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum