Roots and Wings
March 29, 2024, 03:07:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Gallery Staff List Login Register  

How much electronic influence does your child have?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much electronic influence does your child have?  (Read 56 times)
MommyPants
Administrator

« on: August 28, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »

How much electronic influence do you allow your kids to have?  Do you regulate what they see/do?  Do you regulate the content of what they see/do?  Do share!   Stan the Popcorn Man
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:00:34 pm »

We don't have a TV plugged in (I don't think, anyway).  My kids have watched TV once in her life, for three days straight, when they were sick this spring.  I let them watch Seabiscuit, and fast forwarded through the grown up parts.  Essentially, they watched the horses running.

They have a bit of computer access, if I am helping them.  They like to look at pictures of sea turtles, movies and pictures of themselves, and the occasional video on you tube of the Teddy Bear's Picnic, or a recycling plant.

We do listen to recorded music, most days.  However, my kids don't really seem interested much.  It is mostly for me.  I wish I could do better without it during the day.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
unschoolbus
Queen Goddess of the Universe
Wise Trees

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:34:54 pm »

I am very much looking forward to moving to the land and being able to ditch TV. My parents laughed at me because I wanted to raise a child without TV. It didn't work because they have the thing on all.the.time. I am not going to get rid of the TV I just plan on making it more trouble then it's worth to watch.

We listen to audio books and Bry is a huge fan of Hank the Cowdog. I am OK with Hank I just prefer to listen to something else.

I can't stand the noise from the tv even when it's off.
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
Tonia
Wise Trees

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 11:08:36 am »

We recently ditched cable which helped, but we still watch TV via hulu.  M watches movies and an occasional show, but it is much less than it used to be - however still more than it should be.
She does have her on pc, it is locked down to just certain games (no web browsing Smiley ), but she can now easily navigate with the mouse and some basic keyboard usage.  She also has a leapster.  On this dh would put his foot down, with the world the way it is to not learn to navigate a computer/web etc he sees as a big problem with regards to the kids future.  Too many things require pc and web use just to function anymore, especially with work.  Even the most menial of jobs require some computer skills, kwim?
Report Spam   Logged

Tonia
     wife to Brantley (10-30-04)
     SAHM to :
          Mischka Marie (3-3-06)
          Brantley Rockwell (2-27-10)
unschoolbus
Queen Goddess of the Universe
Wise Trees

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:12 am »

The kids do learn to use a computer, just not at a young age. Most adults today did not learn to use a computer until they were older and it doesn't seem to be a big problem for them to have learned at an older age.
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
Tonia
Wise Trees

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:49 am »

eh, Brant had more access to computers at a younger age than I did and he is much better at working on/with them than me.  So I would prefer she have the access there.  We don't make her play on it, but it is there and she does go to it on occasion (especially if we are both on ours). 
Report Spam   Logged

Tonia
     wife to Brantley (10-30-04)
     SAHM to :
          Mischka Marie (3-3-06)
          Brantley Rockwell (2-27-10)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum