Roots and Wings
March 28, 2024, 06:36:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Gallery Staff List Login Register  

It's gotta go!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: It's gotta go!  (Read 374 times)
kt
Wise Trees

« on: August 28, 2010, 05:54:00 pm »

OOOOH! Too much stuff! Gotta get rid of it!!!!

We will be purging for at least a year, so if you need anything, ask us, we might be willing to hand it over for reuse.

Today for example, is "hide extra laundry day," when the experiment begins. We're going to have 3 or 4 outfits each; one for wearing, one for the laundry, one nice outfit for the closet mostly and one sleeping/lounging outfit per person. Otherwise, we have so much clothing each that we can go a few weeks w/out doing laundry, then we have piles and it's impossible to catch up. I'm so over that! And after successfully proving to my husband that we can get by doing this minimumalistic thing, we get rid of the stored clothing, or at least decrease it by half (and then half again next month, etc.).

Wish me luck . . .

Take care,
kt ;o)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sarahw
Wise Trees

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:03:26 pm »

Good luck!  Now I must know how you successfully proved to your husband that this would work because I have laundry coming out of my ears! (and every itty bitty closet in this 100 year old house!)
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 09:39:34 pm »

Go, Katie, go!  I've got the kids down to about a weeks worth of clothes and jammies.  Of course, once I get them down to that, Grandma goes and buys them more at the thrift store or yard sale.  Tongue  But, I do try to keep it pretty low.  I've found that one big trick is to make sure that all types of clothes stay at the same level or else you keep looking in the pants drawer thinking that you've got plenty and don't need to do laundry yet, only to open the closet and find there are no shirts!  Teehee

I keep purging myself and trying to get down to about a week's worth of clothes (for each season) and never do quite get there.  Embarrassed  And Micah is a lost cause.  Tongue  He has clothes for work, clothes for home, more clothes that he never really wears and then some warm clothes which he rarely touches.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
unschoolbus
Queen Goddess of the Universe
Wise Trees

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »

Good luck! I'm good with getting rid of most things excluding books.
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
Tonia
Wise Trees

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 11:02:40 am »

Well mine is easy, I currently have like 4 pair of shorts that fit and 3 nursing tanks that are the only thing comfortable in this heat (I sweat and overheat quickly).  Mischka on the other hand has WAY too many clothes, hers are actually in my master walk in closet because she needs the space.  Problem is she is the only grandchild with about 6 pairs of grandparents, and they all like to shop for her.  Baby Brant is easier, we aren't big on cutesy clothes on boys and so he doesn't have a lot just due to limited choices   Grin
My problem is letting go of stuff, getting better, but not great yet. 
Report Spam   Logged

Tonia
     wife to Brantley (10-30-04)
     SAHM to :
          Mischka Marie (3-3-06)
          Brantley Rockwell (2-27-10)
kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 05:00:26 pm »

Owen doesn't have much clothing.  Which is good, but then we were packing for vacation and he almost didn't have enough to last 5 days without washing...  I also found out that I need to buy more underwear 'cause I nearly didn't have enough either!
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 08:56:41 pm »

Hehe!  I try to keep 1 week's worth of clothing for each person for that reason, Kelly.  One week is a pretty good amount of laundry for making a load midweek and a load at the end of the week, with the linens in the middle.  I do laundry pretty much every day, but it just keeps enough rotation in there that there is something to wear while I wash.  My kids get so dirty that I can't imagine putting them in the same clothes 2 days in a row.  And I try to keep them in jammies through breakfast to keep food off of our outfit for the day.  That means that I can't imagine putting them back in the same jammies that night, either.  I wear the same jammies several nights in a row, but I can eat without getting syrup all over mine - at least most of the time.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
unschoolbus
Wise Trees

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »

Kellie, that is why Bryson ate breakfast without a shirt on for several years. It is less work to wash a sticky chest and belly then it is to wash a shirt.
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:08:10 pm »

Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
Tonia
Wise Trees

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 09:32:00 pm »

Heck, at home, we still have Mischka strip down to eat (especially if it's really messy)  Embarrassed
And yea, we just did an almost 2 week vacation.  The kids had enough clothes, DH and I on the other hand had to do laundry a couple of times Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Tonia
     wife to Brantley (10-30-04)
     SAHM to :
          Mischka Marie (3-3-06)
          Brantley Rockwell (2-27-10)
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:09:29 am »

I usually pack enough clothes for everyone for half the vacation, plus one day.  Then I make sure to do laundry at least once during the vacation.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
unschoolbus
Wise Trees

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:46 am »

We pack about 5-7 days worth of clothing and I stop at about the week mark and do laundry. I am not big on going to laundry mats though. But many campgrounds prohibit Clothesline
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 09:07:12 pm »

We are usually staying with family and this August was the first trip in almost 4 years that we weren't washing cloth diapers anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
unschoolbus
Wise Trees

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 09:20:15 pm »

It is way easier to do laundry when staying with family.
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:23:35 pm »

Yeah.  We've done it at hotels in the laundromat as well though.  And in a regular laundromat.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum