Roots and Wings
March 28, 2024, 04:17:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Gallery Staff List Login Register  

plastic

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: plastic  (Read 337 times)
kelly s
Wise Trees

« on: August 22, 2010, 09:03:45 pm »

how do you get rid of the plastic?  we're good about no electronics, but I just cannot part with the plastic...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:15:06 pm »

We have a 90% no plastic goal.  For the most part, I watch what my kids actually play with, and I move out anything that they don't.  And I mean, play with by themselves - not with me guiding them through it.  If there is something that they really want in plastic, I do my best to find a wood, wool, etc alternative for it.  If I really, truly cannot find an alternative, they get a plastic one.  So, they have a plastic computer keyboard, because I've never seen a wooden one.  They have a plastic calculator.  They have plastic tape measures.  But they have wooden and wool food for their kitchen.  They have wood or metal cars.  They have cloth dolls.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
unschoolbus
Queen Goddess of the Universe
Wise Trees

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:04:17 pm »

I was very no plastic from the beginning. Bry had a really nice wood animals set but my mother's puppy ate her way through two sets of animals before Bry was 18 months. My budget could no longer afford the nicer wooden toys that ended being puppy chew toys. Between that and his delays and not understanding how to play (except with toy animals) we gave up and went plastic. I'm not much help.
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
itsrtimedownhere

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:07:21 pm »

when they were younger, non-plastic toys were easy. now that nicholas is getting a little older, he's more interested in building toys. he has blocks out the wazoo.

we gave in and got him some legos and k'nex.

he also wanted transformers for christmas. we got some for him because i remember christmas when i was little. i would only want one special thing and my mom wouldn't get it because it was too expensive or she didn't want me to have it for whatever reason. it really made christmas suck for me.

the way i see it, a couple special plastic toys in a sea of wooden/wool/metal toys won't hurt.
Report Spam   Logged
kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »

well...as Kellie can tell you, since she was over this morning, the plastic has come back in full force.  I need to purge some X-mas toys that have lost their luster and make way for b-day gifts.  One of the grandparents said something about a matchbox racing track --ugh.
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:27:46 pm »

Oh goodness! I didn't think you were inundated with plastic or anything. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:33:56 am »

Oh goodness! I didn't think you were inundated with plastic or anything. Smiley

thanks.  it's too much for us though...  lately he's been packing everything up which drives me crazy 'cause it's just a bunch of stuff in a box and he can't be bothered to do anything else.
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 03:56:29 pm »

LOL!  I KNOW that one, Kelly!  Walter wants to pack so much stuff up and then you've just got this jumble of stuff that he won't let you do anything with.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 06:31:31 pm »

I got rid of a few things, took inventory and found some others that we can sell or re-gift.  Of course, he woke up while I was in the process.  Then it was tears and tears about me just putting his blocks up on a shelf in his closet.  Oh, boy!  He's still got that "suitcase" that he's packing...
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 09:50:48 am »

LOL!  I hope that you are able to get it done when he is asleep sometime.  It's nice here because Sofi is old enough that when I did the last big purge we talked about how it was so much easier to play without so many toys to get in the way - and she got it.  And whatever Sofi does, Walter does, so it just went smoothly.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum