Roots and Wings
March 28, 2024, 04:52:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Gallery Staff List Login Register  

You Are Your Child's First Teacher

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You Are Your Child's First Teacher  (Read 172 times)
MommyPants
Administrator

« on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:12 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/You-Your-Childs-First-Teacher/dp/0890879672/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281752409&sr=1-1

This is my all time favorite Waldorf inspired book about early childhood and the baby to preschool years.  I recommend it all of the time.  The way she discusses the concepts of Waldorf philosophy and the basis for those philosophies just truly makes sense to me.  In my opinion, it is a must read for anyone thinking about doing Waldorf education with preschoolers.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lindsay
Wise Trees

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:34:13 pm »

Good book!!!  If I ever get a chance to finish it I'll be even more excited!   Grin

I enjoy the way she discusses one concept from multiple view points.  It makes it much more approachable to a variety of people coming from different walks of life with different underlying philosophies. 
Report Spam   Logged

Wife to Mike 7/5/2006 and Mama to Sebastian Thomas 1/7/2010
unschoolbus
Queen Goddess of the Universe
Wise Trees

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:37:08 pm »

I guess I am the odd ball. I wasn't that impressed with it.
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:45:09 pm »

How old was Bryson when you read it?
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
unschoolbus
Wise Trees

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:49:49 pm »

I'm not sure. I think 3. It was right around that rather chaotic time.
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:53:36 pm »

Hehe!  I just love it.  But, by the time that we got to researching schooling options, we were already doing pretty much everything she suggested anyway.  Sofi demanded routine and if we didn't follow hers, she would tell us about it.  I didn't at all believe in early academics (the reason we ended up homeschooling, as the district was going to make us put her in 5 full days a week at 3 years old).  We were already going plastic free.  The toys I preferred for my kids are Waldorf in nature.  We'd always been keep it quiet, normal, away from the bright lights, loud noise and chaos as much as possible.  And then here was this book talking about why that was best!  It did so much more for me than many of the early Waldorf books like Seven Times the Sun or Across the Rainbow Bridge, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
unschoolbus
Wise Trees

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:01:15 am »

We started out plastic free but to be honest plastic does not hurt as much when:

it hits you after the toddler throws it
the dog eats all the animals that go with the child's beloved farm set and has to be replaced
Report Spam   Logged

Mom to Bryson 12-7-03
kandice
Wise Trees

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:59:33 am »

This is the book that made me really want to explore Waldorf more.  I like that she presents everything in an easy to understand manner (not like some Steiner books and more "technical" Waldorf books I've read).  It had some good ideas and made me think about some things differently.  I love the early chapters where she talks about babies being so fresh from God and straddling the heavenly world and earthly world.  It makes babies even more special.  Ah, babies Grin
Report Spam   Logged
kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 12:01:15 pm »

I love the book.  I recently gave it to my friend who just had a baby.  She said she liked it too...
Report Spam   Logged
Mami

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 11:07:45 pm »

Ariz is already 5yrs old and Alex will be 4 in December. Do you think this book will still be helpful for me or should I start off with another book?

We are doing Waldorf inspired learning but I want to bring the philosophy home by spreading it out in everyday life. I got that routine/rhythem are important but I'm just a BIG reader and I love to reserch things just for the fun of it (to much is never enought when it comes to reading  Teehee )
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 08:04:22 am »

I still think it would be helpful.  Grin  I was just recently rereading it, and Sofi is 4.5.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum