Roots and Wings
March 19, 2024, 12:45:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Gallery Staff List Login Register  

starting a garden!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: starting a garden!  (Read 154 times)
itsrtimedownhere

« on: April 04, 2011, 10:59:55 am »

we have a 10'x7' patch of bone dry dirt in front of our house and we are trying to grow a garden in it.

yikes.

i hope at least SOMETHING grows.

we planted basil, national cucumbers and grass.

i'm planning on rinsing my mama cloth into a bucket of water and putting in on the garden because i really doubt there are any nutrients in that dirt at all.

wish us luck!  Gardening
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:14 am »

don't forget that you can compost!
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:32:40 am »

Yes, add compost and it will help greatly with the nutrients!

Anything popping up yet?
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
itsrtimedownhere

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:33:05 am »

oh yes.  Grin

we have tons of basil, 7 watermelons, 9 cucumbers, 1 pumpkin, 2 mystery babies that are turning out to be trees from next door and we planted 2 onion tops that started sprouting on the counter.

the grass is starting to fill in too. even though the ants keep dragging our seeds off.

i've never made compost. how do it do it?
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »

Awesome!

Compost is super easy.  You can start it in a bin indoors if you don't have space outside (or if the condo won't let you).  You want 1/3 green to 2/3 brown.  Green is vegetable scraps, yard clippings, alivish kind of things.  Brown is dried leaves, paper, small sticks (which help air to move through), things like that.  You put a small amount in your bin or pile to start with, and stir it together.  Then you add more as it accumulates, so instead of putting your vegetable peels down the garbage disposal or in the garbage can, you toss them in the bin.  You want to keep everything in the bin fairly moist, and you need holes in your bin to allow for air flow.  Try to keep your ratio at the 1/3:2/3 level.  The stuff that has been in there the longest will decompose into really great garden soil.  There are lots of different ways to do this and work with it.  one of the easiest I've seen is to use a big outdoor plastic garbage can and cut like a "mouse door" at the bottom of it.  Put about 6 inches of sticks in the bottom of the can.  Then you add your newer things to the top and as the older stuff decomposes, it sifts down through the sticks and is ready to be scooped out through the mouse door.  Hope that made sense.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
itsrtimedownhere

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 04:41:20 pm »

so the good stuff falls though the sticks and it's right there at the door. makes sense!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum