Roots and Wings
March 28, 2024, 06:03:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are your gardening plans for the coming spring?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your gardening plans for the coming spring?  (Read 65 times)
MommyPants
Administrator

« on: February 03, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »

What are you planning for the outside this spring?

I am sitting on the fence about starting a garden this year.  Our yields haven't been great the past 2 years here, and I will be very pregnant during planting season (and have a newborn during care/harvest season).  But this seems to be the first year that dh is all gung ho about having a garden!  Teehee  And it is awfully hard to resist the pull of those seed catalogs!
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »

onions and garlic are super easy.  you can plant them now.  transplants might be the way to go when you're ready to plant them...if you're not too busy Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »

I thought very seriously about onions and garlic. We buy a ton, and they are easy to store. I guess I'll have to put them on the list!
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:37:47 am »

i like onions and garlic 'cause you can't kill them by forgetting to water them...something that I do sometimes!
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:55:50 pm »

My garlic last year died because it got too shady.  Tongue  And the chickens pulled up the onions by the greens!  They didn't eat them, just dug them up.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
kelly s
Wise Trees

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »

My garlic last year died because it got too shady.  Tongue  And the chickens pulled up the onions by the greens!  They didn't eat them, just dug them up.

well, poop!
Report Spam   Logged
kandice
Wise Trees

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:15:58 am »

This is our first garden and I may be getting in over my head but I'm just so excited!  We're planting a spinach/salad mix patch and a different garden w/ carrots, peppers, a couple of other things I can't remember and DH wants sweet corn.  We're planting some strawberry popcorn for the kids.  I'm planning a butterfly garden and planting some sunflowers for the kids.  Then I read on Code Name: Mama about sunflower houses (which I then saw Nessa posted here too...I'd never heard of that until a couple of days ago) so we're going to attempt a version of that rather than a row of sunflowers.  Aaaand a pot of mixed herbs and a pot just of mint.  And some dahlias out front.  It sounds like so much but I'm looking forward to being outside this summer and not being pregnant or having a baby for the first time since 2005!
Report Spam   Logged
itsrtimedownhere

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:08:55 am »

we can't grow anything outside.  Sad

but we started some basil terrariums yesterday.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 09:46:40 am »

Well, your terrariums will do well in the bus.  Wink

Kandice, I know what you mean!  I am so sitting on the fence about the pregnancy - but I love to dig in the dirt!!!!

Kelly, I think I am going to do garlic and onions.  I'll probably look for some this weekend while we are out.

I think I'm going to start working on a couple beds this weekend, if the weather is nice enough.  At least I'll start working on Micah to work on them!  Tongue  He can work on getting the hardware cloth in order to keep the chickens out (although he was talking about making their run a bit smaller to leave more gardening room outside of it), and actually plan what we are planting and how much and where.
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie
itsrtimedownhere

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 05:19:53 pm »

out terrariums have baby basils in them! yay!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
MommyPants
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 10:02:05 am »

Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Kellie